About 74% of Americans identify themselves as religious, while the remaining 26% identify as being atheist, agnostic, or as following no religion in particular. The question is, does religion make a difference in our lives? What is the importance of religion?
If you’re a parent and wondering about whether or not you should raise your children to be religious then this article is for you. Let’s take a look at the benefits of religion and how it can affect your daily life.
Religion as a Moral Code
One of the most fundamental benefits of religion is the underlying moral code it offers. No matter whether you’re a believer or not, the simple fact is that if we all lived by the moral teachings of religion the world would most likely be a better place.
Simply following a religion does not automatically calibrate your moral compass, but by understanding the teachings of religious texts children can learn some basic moral principles from an early age.
The idea of a struggle between good and evil has run throughout the entire history of mankind. And there’s a good reason. Psychologically it is something that exists within all of us.
Religion can help to identify key points that help light triumph over darkness. The main underlying moral principle of religion is “do unto others as you would have them do unto you.” From this branches several teachings about compassion, generosity, forgiveness.
Religion can help us to distinguish right from wrong. For example, the ‘Ten Commandments’ clearly outline things that we should not do. It’s impossible to disagree with the list whether you’re a Christian or not.
The Metaphor of Religion
When people are thinking about how to choose a religion they often come face to face with the same dilemma. Religion is frequently misassociated with smaller groups of followers perceived by the media. When considering religion for children it is important to look beyond this.
In religion, the focus is put upon God. We’re not sure who or what this ‘God’ is, but we know that we are taught to dedicate our lives to them. We are told that by living in a way that pleases God we can strengthen our relationship with them.
What if this concept of God is a metaphor for the most ideal version of ourselves? Practices such as mindfulness and many of the underlying principles of psychotherapy all teach us a similar thing: That to find inner peace and develop we have to learn how to be close with our true selves.
Mindfulness and the concepts behind psychotherapy are too complicated for children to grasp. However, religion offers children an easy-to-understand version of a universal self-development template.
Bible school can offer a great way to introduce your child to the life-long lessons of religion. With so many vacation bible school themes it’s a great way for children to learn and have fun doing it.
Reap the Benefits of Religion for Children
By understanding the importance of religion you can make the right choice when it comes to deciding whether or not to raise religious kids. Religion will help your child socialize with other children with similar ideals. It helps introduce children into a much larger community.
For more interesting ideas about lifestyle and everything else, be sure to take a look at the rest of our site.